B.C. wildfire state of emergency hits two-week mark

The area of Boston Flats, B.C. is seen after a wildfire ripped through the area earlier in the week on Tuesday, July 11, 2017.(Jonathan Hayward / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

By The Canadian Press, July 21, 2017 

KAMLOOPS, B.C. – Today marks two weeks since raging wildfires that have displaced thousands of people British Columbia forced the province to call a state of emergency.

On Wednesday, Premier John Horgan said he would extend the order for an additional two weeks since many of the 43,000 people who had to flee their homes in the province’s Interior will not yet be able to return.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth, who was sworn in Tuesday as part of B.C.’s new NDP government, says a $100 million fund established by the former Liberal government is enough to cover costs for now and the province is ready to spend more if necessary.

Read full article here…..