By Mallorie Rast, Kindersley Social, June 30, 2017
Golf Tourney and SJHL Induction help Kindersley Klippers Mark their 25th Year.
What better way to celebrate a silver anniversary than with a celebrity golf tourney and SJHL Induction Banquet? Last weekend, outstanding players from across the province were recognized for their skill and determination; over eight athletes, including natives to Kindersley, were honored with an induction ceremony to the SJHL Hall of Fame.
Starting off the event with a Golf Tourney, Kindersley residents were able to mingle with the inductees and other attending celebrities, such as Jaycee Gebhard and Fiona Smith-Bell. Well known Kindersley golfers such as Connor Tate were able to make the 18-hole tourney a day to remember. Following tourney, competitors were joined by yet more guests for a delicious banquet catered by the Kindersley Inn.
The awards ceremony was emceed by Les Lazaruk, voice of the Saskatoon Blades. Keynote speakers Darren Dutchyshen and Marc Habscheid endeared the crowd with witty stories and heartfelt tributes to their Saskatchewan roots. Bill Chow, president of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League (SJHL), presented each award to the inductees.
Upon receiving the awards, many inductees noted that Kindersley and the Kindersley Klippers were major components to their later success. Others also listed their parents and billets as reasons for their accomplishment. Devin Edgerton brought an emotional moment to the crowd as he presented his newly received ring to his father. “Without your dedication, your encouragement, I would not be standing here,” Edgerton said with a catch in his voice.
Roughrider Cheerleaders were also special guests, helping with the sale of 50/50 tickets and a live auction. Donated game tickets, VIP packages, and signed player jerseys and equipment allowed a few guests to head home with a lasting memory.
The list of inductees is as follows:
- Dorsett, Derek (Born in Kindersley, part of the 2003/2004 Klippers Championship team, drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets, and now a member of the Vancouver Canucks)
- Edgerton, Devin (Born in Kindersley, the 1991 SJHL Most Valuable Player, 1993 Murphy Cup winner with Anaheim Bullfrogs, 1994 Turner Cup winner with Atlanta Knights and 2001 DEL All Star game and German Champion with Adler Mannheim)
- Hunchak, Dave (Born in Warman, played with the Saskatoon Blades and coached the Klippers to their 2003-04 Championship. Currently the assistant coach of HC Banska Bystrica is the Slovakia League)
- The Kindersley Klippers 2003-2004 Championship Team
- Paslawski , Greg (Born in Kindersley a retired NHL player who played 650 games, recording 372 points with the Canadiens, Blues, Jets, Sabres, Nordiques, Flyers, and Flames.)
- Schwab, Troy (Born in Kindersley had 216 points in 166 games with the Klippers between 2002-2005, and was a member of the 2003-04 Championship team. Played pro hockey in ECHL and CHL and is currently the assistant coach for the Greenville Swamp Rabbits of the ECHL.)
- Shea, Terry (One of the main builders who played a fundamental part in bringing and keeping the Klippers in Kindersley. He sat on the Klippers board for the past 25 years)
- Winkler, Chris (Klippers Alumni who scored 50 goals and 89 points with the 1994-95 Klippers)
Congratulations to all inductees!
For the latest information and for more updates on everything Kindersley, ‘Like’ our Facebook page below…