4,251 Provincial Drivers issued Speeding and Aggressive Driving Tickets
February’s Traffic Safety Spotlight revealed that some Saskatchewan drivers were in too much of a hurry to get things done, rushing and rushing until a speeding ticket made their life no fun.
Saskatchewan police wrote 4,251 tickets to drivers for a range of speeding and aggressive driving offences, including:
- 3,767 for exceeding the speed limit;
- 164 for exceeding it by more than 35 km/h;
- 35 for exceeding it by more than 50 km/h;
- 144 for exceeding 60 km/h when passing emergency vehicles or tow trucks with lights activated;
- 59 for speeding in a school zone;
- 26 for driving at a speed that is greater than reasonable and safe;
- 18 for stunting; and
- 3 for street racing.
Look, your car has nothing to prove. Even if it’ll do zero to 60 in 5.2, you still have to follow the posted speed limit. Can’t be late? Leave in plenty of time and it won’t be a problem. If you already feel like you’re running behind, resist the urge to pick up the pace and drive faster than the law allows.
Speeding is a high-risk behaviour that increases the risk of a crash by reducing your reaction time and disrupting your control. Even if you don’t cause a collision, a speeding ticket is a quick way to wreck your day and put a dent in your bank account. The faster you’re going, the more that ticket costs, and the most serious speed-related offences also come with additional consequences like vehicle impoundments and licence suspensions. With fluctuating temperatures this time of year, road conditions can change quickly, which is another good reason to slow down.
Other results from February:
- 613 tickets issued for distracted driving, including 529 for using a cellphone;
- 416 tickets for seatbelt and occupant restraint offences; and
- 342 impaired driving offences, including 212 Criminal Code charges and 130 roadside suspensions for violating provincial limits. (As we noted with the March Traffic Safety Spotlight, the REAL legal limit is lower than .08 BAC)
For the latest information and for more updates on everything Kindersley,
Like the Kindersley Social Facebook page!