1/3 cup (80 mL) raw cashews, soaked
2 Tbsp (30 mL) nutritional yeast
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp (2 mL) kosher salt
Creamy butternut pasta and peas
2 lbs (1 kg) butternut squash
4 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
2 Tbsp (30 mL) melted coconut oil, divided
1/2 cup (125 mL) nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
1/2 tsp (2 mL) kosher salt
1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard
2 cups (500 mL) unflavoured oat milk
2 cups (500 mL) penne pasta, regular, whole wheat, or gluten free
1 cup (250 mL) frozen petit pois (small, sweet peas), thawed
Crushed red chili flakes and pea shoots (optional)
- Soak cashews in cold water for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours. Rinse and drain.
- In food processor, combine soaked nuts, 2 Tbsp (30 mL) nutritional yeast, parsley, and salt. Whirl until you have coarse crumbs. Transfer to airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. Cashew Crumble can be refrigerated for a couple of days.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Peel and dice squash. You should have about 3 cups (750 mL). In large bowl, toss squash and garlic with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) melted coconut oil. Tumble onto baking sheet and spread out in single layer. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Transfer to high-speed blender or food processor with remaining ingredients except milk, pasta, peas, and chili flakes. Whirl mixture, adding enough milk until desired creamy sauce is formed. Add a little water if needed for sauce to be of pouring consistency.
- In large pot with boiling water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain well and place in large bowl with remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil. Toss to evenly coat. Drizzle with butternut squash cream sauce and gently fold together to evenly coat. Fold in petit pois. Add more seasonings to taste, if you wish.
- Preheat oven to 325 F (175 C). Generously oil 2 L baking dish. Transfer mixture to dish and sprinkle with Cashew Crumble. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes until piping hot and topping is golden.
- Serve immediately with a generous pinch of crushed chilies, if you wish.
TIP: Creamy Butternut Pasta can be made and assembled in a baking dish and refrigerated for up to a day or overnight before baking if you wish. When ready, bake, covered, for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
Each serving contains: 526 calories; 23 g protein; 11 g total fat (5 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 64 g total carbohydrates (10 g sugars, 14 g fibre); 445 mg sodium
For more recipes like this visit alive.com
Image Source: Alive.com
For the latest information and for more updates on everything Kindersley ‘Like’ the Kindersley Social Facebook page below…