March is Fraud prevention month. Given the reports of fraudulent money that was circulated in the Kindersley area earlier in the winter Kindersley RCMP would like to pass on these tips to both residents and business on what to look for when dealing with money:
· Different material is used and easily damaged or ripped;
· Bills differed in size, shape, and colour;
· Modified bills with tape or other adhesive materials;
· Contain holographic images and numbers that do not match the bill denomination; and
· Display black lines or bars.
Did you know?: In Canada, it is a criminal offence to knowingly use and recirculate a counterfeit bill. If you come into contact with what you believe is counterfeit currency, please report it to your local RCMP detachment by calling 310-RCMP. Should you wish to remain anonymous, you can also report through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
For more information on detecting counterfeit bills and what to do if you receive one, visit the RCMP’s webpage about counterfeit activity in Canada.
For the latest information and for more updates on everything Kindersley ‘Like’ the Kindersley Social Facebook page below…